Have you ever wanted to make use of your language skills and help other foreigners enjoy their stay during the big games in Tokyo?
Well, I’ll be letting you know about the requirements to volunteer for this event!
The Organizing Committee wants to ensure that there’s a large number of volunteers for the approximately 110,000 foreigners that are expected to visit Tokyo during the games.
According to the official website, “volunteers will play a vital role in the proper functioning of the Games, providing support and information in the venues and in the Olympic Village; so they will have to be involved before, during and after the Games.” These volunteers will have the mission of offering visitors proverbial Japanese hospitality known as “Omotenashi”, so they will be trained how to do it properly, according to the customs of the Asian country.
There will be two types of volunteering: a first group will be in the sporting arenas and have to guide the public with the compounds; and the second group of volunteers are called “Volunteers of the City”, this means the second group will be in charge of guiding and helping foreigners in airports, train stations and tourist sites, where they will provide services to visitors from all over Japan and abroad, as help with tourism and transport, information, and guidance to the spectators in the stations closest to the competitions.
What are the requirements to volunteer?
You will need to:
- Be 18 years or more since April 1, 2020.
- Able to participate in voluntary training sessions.
- You can apply both Japanese and foreigners with permission to stay in Japan (temporary visitors can also apply).
- Able to volunteer for 10 or more days.
- Enthusiastic and committed, with a genuine desire to contribute to the success of the Tokyo 2020 Games.
- Be able to work as part of a team, and treat the other team members with respect.
We at Sakura House would love to help you with your stay before, during and after the games, whether you’re volunteering or not!
Doesn’t it sound like such a good experience that you’d be able to share with your friends and family for generations!